Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Ethical and Information Policy Issues

                In introducing all these new, great 2.0 technologies to libraries, a whole new set of concerns about ethics and user privacy are also introduced. According to Peter Fernandez, libraries should carefully weigh the potential for outreach when using sites such as Facebook against the potential loss of privacy of their users. As of 2007, only a small percent of librarians (19) worried about privacy when starting a Facebook page. This is a small number, when privacy is supposed to be one of the most important parts of being a librarian. I would be surprised that if in the last four years that number hasn’t grown a lot. I think when Facebook first came out a lot of people, especially the students the site was designed for, just jumped in head first without considering any consequences. I think Fernandez’s articles are cautionary. Do not be lured into creating any type of social networking site for your library without first carefully considering all potential issues including privacy.
                Libraries and social networking sites certainly put a different value on privacy. Fernandez discusses how libraries can still keep their own privacy values while using social networking sites. I would not say that generation Y does not care about privacy at all, but I do agree that the privacy level has been diminished over generations. I do not know anyone in the younger generation that has an unlisted phone number. I like to keep my cell phone number rather private and only give it to a few family and friends, yet many people post theirs on their SNS along with their e-mail address.
                On another note, “students spent a median of sixteen hours a week online, with many spending even more time.” At first I was surprised by that number, but realistically I probably spend the close to that amount to that online as well. We found a way to get students away from the television I guess!


Library Law Blog   http://blog.librarylaw.com/
                When a library purchases an e-book they are held to the same copyright rules as if they had purchased a paper book. I think that is much more tempting for people to make digital copies of items because it is easier. Perhaps you just bought the new Drake CD and your friend wants you to burn them a copy. It would be so easy to do and you might think who would know? This is an ethical issue. The same holds true for libraries with very tight budgets. Hopefully, any type of copyright infringement is not even considered at your library. I still believe that libraries are viewed by most people in a highly positive light and we should never do anything to tarnish that image. Just about every class I have taken so far towards my MLIS degree has mentioned ethics and the ALA Code of Ethics. I really think that if a librarian does not value these ethics, they might be in the wrong profession.

2 comments:

  1. As to pulling people away from the TV, I think that may be at least moderately positive as the sorts of things we do online tend to be more interactive. But that's me. And for the record, I do still watch TV, but far less than I once did.

    Also, if students spend an average of 16 hours a week online...I can attest to the fact that professors spend far more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! If I am ever free at 7:30 I have a standing date will Jeopardy that no amount of interaction online will replace! :)

    ReplyDelete