Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Culture of Connectivity

Wow! I am watching my lecture online. I think is interesting that the lecture suggests Tweeting live while the discussion takes place!

John Palfrey mentions that people come into the school with a different set of abilities. This is especially important to keep in mind when the topic is relayed to library issues. I see patrons daily show all levels of competency. Some patrons want to sign up for computer classes, some want the latest downloadable books, some just want to use the internet for social networking, etc.

Danah Boyd's lecture was very interesting. It really had me considering what we actually show to other's online on our social networking sites.

I just found out that the average amount of people reading the average blog is 6. There are many blogs that are very popular, but most are not. It is important to keep in mind that the information you put out there is able to be found. This blog was created for my social networking class. I cannot imagine it to be of much interest to a large audience. Perhaps some students, co-workers and potential employers may follow it. I did a simple Google search of my name. This blog was the 6th listing.

 So beware! Although what you write may not be followed by millions of people, keep in mind that it can be very accessible by millions of people!

No comments:

Post a Comment