Thursday, June 2, 2011

Library 2.0 Webology

The article by Kathy Tibor, Library 2.0 information and digital literacies in the light of the contradictory nature of Web 2.0 examines amateur and professional content when using new Web 2.0 technologies.

I agreed with what the author wrote. Yet, she offered no new ideas and I found a lot of the ideas were just common sense. They were back up by studies though.
I recently finished a final paper for my 504 class about teaching information literacy in public libraries. Perhaps this is why the ideas seemed like common sense.
“There is no single literacy that is appropriate for all people or for one person over all their lifetime.”
“Professional content have to be offered to students, teaching staff and researchers when they are fulfilling their professional rolls”
“Professional goals require higher level of reliability, accuracy and validity…”

I did find it interesting that studies suggest that younger generations actually differentiate content in school vs. at home. I find it disappointing when I read a young person’s Facebook status and everything is misspelled, written in short hand or acronyms. But it is a social site! I’m happy to learn that all of the younger generation may use a more professional tone while using school technologies!

No comments:

Post a Comment