Thursday, June 16, 2011

Facebook and Twitter Updates

Writing as much information as possible in 140 characters or less is proving difficult. Sure I can write a lot of acronyms and abbreviations. But, I am also concerned about keeping the posts professional and I do not want the message lost in acronym translation. OMG, 2MORO, BTW and L8R just aren't going to cut if for my tweets.

In Miller's article Tips for Writing Facebook and Twitter Updates three basic choices for non-profit posts are suggested. You want the readers to do, think, of feel something. I agree with all three reasons to post on a feed. I also think one of the main reasons libraries and other non-profits use Twitter and Facebook is to inform them of something. Perhaps the libraries hours have changed or there will be a fine free weekend coming up. Twitter would be a great forum to keep library follows up-to-date on such information.

I can really relate to Miller's comments about TMI, or too much information. I have just started using Twitter, but I find myself just passing by post on Facebook of people that always update their status. The same is true for organizations. I do love Jesus and Jason Mraz, but I did "unlike" both groups when I was receiving way to many posts from them. I find myself being more discerning when I decide what organizations to "like" and I will do the same on Twitter as I become more active on that site.

No comments:

Post a Comment