Wednesday, June 22, 2011

New Media, Old Media

New social medias all have their pros and cons and I think that they all have different functions depending on what the user wants.
I was not surprised that most of the time the top news story was the different for Twitter, blogs and YouTube in the 29 weeks the trend was tracked. Twitter is a great forum to post the most recent news. Especially if a link is provided for the user to find more in depth information about the breaking news. On the other hand, I never really considered YouTube a place for news in my personal life at all. I had all the librarians watching "cat mom hugs baby kitten". I love this video, but it is not news!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw4KVoEVcr0

The findings of this article are not surprising,

 "social media and the mainstream press clearly embrace different agendas. Blogs shared the same lead story with traditional media in just 13 of the 49 weeks studied. Twitter was even less likely to share the traditional media agenda-the lead story matched that of the mainstream press in just four weeks of the weeks studied. On YouTube, the top stories overlapped with traditional media eight out of 49 week".


New media is here to stay. Myself and many of my classmates agreed on that in a previous blog:
http://stacyslibrarystuff.blogspot.com/2011/06/social-media-revolution-2.html

No comments:

Post a Comment