Thursday, June 16, 2011

Library 2.0:Evolution or Revolution?

I do not think that libraries need a revolutionary change in their services to help patrons. Sure, libraries have to stay on top of current technologies to make sure that they do not become obsolete and that they provide the best services for their patrons. We have to provide the same or better information and service than what a patron may get from their peers or web sites that do not have verified information. And if the patron prefers to text than face-to-face interaction, then we must text too. Just like 2.0 is used to describe new or improved products, I believe that Library 2.0 is a more improved, patron oriented library. I do not think of it a bandwagon term that libraries use while products and services do not change. I have seen the launch of a mobile web site and a new entire web page roll out in the three years I have worked at the WPL. When I started there we did not have MP3 audios nor did we have a self check out DVD dispensing machine. I certainly think that we are trying to meet the needs of our patrons.

Library 2.0 is for sure a constantly evolving process!


evolution

No comments:

Post a Comment