Monday, June 6, 2011

"The Networked Librarian"

I just watched the lecture "The Networked Librarian" by Lee Rainee.

I think the best part of the lecture was Rainee's suggestion of forming alliances with groups in the community or those who might share the same views or goals as your particular library. I think that using varied forms of social media are a great way for libraries to not only network, but specifically engage their own community. Reaching out to patrons is great and the library I currently work in does that wonderfully. The concept of forming alliances with the community was new for me. Joining with local non-profits, schools, universities, and businesses are a great way for libraries to have a larger presence in their community and be more informed about what is actually going on.

Shifting focus a little, Tweckling!? How rude!
Often I heard and seen first-hand that people will say and write meaner things online than they would do so in person. So now instead of booing a speaker, something that many people would not do, they will write mean things about them real-time in a blog.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know if you've chosen a lit. review topic yet...but I wonder if tweckling, flaming, etc. might work as a topic for someone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Suellen, I have never come across the term, “flaming” either. I just did a quick search for the meaning and that would for sure be a very interesting topic! Right now I am doing some class readings and catching up on some classmate blog postings. I will look into this topic a little more in-depth and let you know for sure. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flame wars and trolling are a rich and (shall we say) "colorful" part of internet history ...

    I've always been a fan of Mike Reed's caricatures on the subject:

    http://www.flamewarriors.com/

    In particular, check out the "Troller" and "Enfant Provocateur" entries :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alessandro,
    Very funny.
    I am finally realizing how people can spend so much time online. I just spent 10 minutes reading these "definitions" instead of working on homework!

    ReplyDelete